PDA

View Full Version : R328 Gehrig from Ebay

Jim VB
05-25-2009, 07:30 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=360156232326

Do you think these relatively low feedback bidders really thought they were bidding on a card graded "6" or were they fooled by the "two Beckett's" grading systems?

Jacklitsch
05-25-2009, 07:34 PM
What the hell grading system is that? Never heard of it. Card's a 2 by any competent grading company.

HRBAKER
05-25-2009, 07:36 PM
What the hell grading system is that? Never heard of it. Card's a 2 by any competent grading company.

The older BCCG holders looked much different than this. Aside from the question of whether the whole BCCG Grading System is bogus, now they are using the same holder it appears that they use for their BVG graded cards. IMO, this is laughable.

Now the scan is certainly large enough for any knowledgeable bidder to discern that this is fact a very low grade card that doesn't even approach a "6" by any legitimate grading standards, but still...........

sox1903wschamp
05-25-2009, 07:38 PM
There was a thread about this awhile back. Misleading and a bunch of hogwash.

HRBAKER
05-25-2009, 07:43 PM
If you go the Beckett Media webpage it says that the BCCG holder is thinner than the BVG and that no inner sleeve is used. Meaning that that (I assume) it is easy to tell the difference. Either they need to update that or my eyes are getting bad.

Now, I certainly can't tell from the scan if the holder is thinner but it sure looks like the same great holder they use for BVG.

Jim VB
05-25-2009, 08:15 PM
I'm not a big graded card guy so I'm not really tuned in to what holder they use. I'm much more focused on what grading scale they use. The only way this one is a 6 is if the scale is from zero to 100.

How can one company use two distinct grading scales?

HRBAKER
05-25-2009, 08:18 PM
I'm not a big graded card guy so I'm not really tuned in to what holder they use. I'm much more focused on what grading scale they use. The only way this one is a 6 is if the scale is from zero to 100.

How can one company use two distinct grading scales?

Jim, I agree. My point was it used to be much easier to tell the difference. No one has ever been able to explain to me the need for the two sets of standards. I have been told the BCCG scale was designed to be more collector-based. I am not sure what that means at all.

doug.goodman
05-25-2009, 09:40 PM
The only reason for a second grading scale is to mislead unknowledgeable collectors.

"Buy the card not the holder" never had a better example.

Doug