PDA

View Full Version : Bond Bread Premium help please

wondo
05-20-2009, 11:39 AM
I recently picked up lot #81179 in the last big Heritage auction - 1947 Bond Premium Photos Group. I received the lot and am not sure what these guys are. The Standard catalogue couches the checklist and ID; the pics are very similar to the picture pack issues of the same era save the quality is lower in both print and centering. The picture pack issues are much more uniform. These look like lower grade repros of the picture packs, but they are most certainly from the same era. Heritage has been great so far in working with me (even offering a refund if i am unsatisfied). Does anyone out there have knowledge of these guys? Can anyone please help me out with identification qualities or what I should look for?

Thanks,

John

Leon
05-20-2009, 04:07 PM
Can you post a scan of one or send me a scan to post for you? Maybe Ted Z will know when he reads the board next time? I think he has some pretty good knowledge of the series in general.

paul
05-22-2009, 03:44 PM
I have a couple in my collection. They clearly use the same photos and same script lettering as the Homogenized Bond cards. But I'm not at all convinced that they have any connection to the bread. I'd be interested to hear if Ted remembers any offers to send in to the bread company for larger pictures.

wondo
05-22-2009, 08:01 PM
What I found interesting was that these photos share some of the bread pics, but certainly share the Team issued pic poses. Many have a consistantly placed mark as if there was a smudge or problem on a copy "machine". The printing image is of lower quality as is the overall QA - centering, size, etc. The stock is a tad heavier and glossier than the coarse team pic issues.

toppcat
05-23-2009, 09:58 AM
I've always thought these were a grouping of photos supplied by one or two firms (two fonts seem to predominate) that were used by a number of issuers. Would not shock me if they were from the Exhibit archive, or some similar type of situation. Adam might know something about this.

Exhibitman
05-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Not the same techniques or stock.

It all falls in the W card spectrum and the W card makers are a lot closer aligned than you'd think. It is evident that the W517s and Exhibit PC backs came from the same artwork--they have the same handwriting. I think there was a lot of cross-pollenating on the artwork in many of these sets. After all, why not re-use a regional issue in another region. Probably a lot like the Felix Mendelsohn cards with all the brands.