PDA

View Full Version : eBays largest vintage unopened pack seller - RESEALER?

HOFAUTOS
05-19-2009, 10:56 PM
This has been the main topic over at the PSA board and thought I would share the link to the discussion, along with PROOF.

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=721631

Leon
05-20-2009, 06:37 AM
I read some of it and that was some nice detective work. Glad more pond scum got caught....

D. Bergin
05-20-2009, 07:55 AM
One of the reasons I never understood older Wax Packs selling for so much more then the possible worth of the cards inside of them.

It just seems like these packs could be so easily faked.

I understand some people claim to be able to spot a fake pack from a mile away, but it just never seemed that easy to me.

It's strange, I remember having one of these large rolls of 77' wrappers back in the early 90's and never even thought you could create brand new packs with them. Probably wasn't even worth it back then.

D. Bergin
05-20-2009, 07:57 AM
As an aside, this might be worth posting on the main page, even if it isn't Pre-War.

Leon
05-20-2009, 08:03 AM
I agree this is front page material.....Even though it is post war we have a ton of our members that collect this material. Thanks for the suggestion. I was sort of thinking it should be here and your suggestion cinched it...

Mrc32
05-20-2009, 08:15 AM
Packs, Autographs....so much fraud for not a lot of money.

richieb315
05-20-2009, 08:59 AM
This guys feedback is terrible. Why would anyone even consider buying from him to begin with. 154 Neg & 88 Nuetrals in 12 months. Yikes Still was great Detective work. Nice Job

D. Bergin
05-20-2009, 09:28 AM
Funny!

One of the negs is for a lot of Fake Roger Clemens rookies.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370165295977&viewitem=&salenotsupported

Apparently the fakies weren't fake enough..............or were too fake, I don't know.

#1. Who sells fake Clemens Rookies?

#2. Who buys fake Clemens Rookies and then complains about the quality of said fake Clemens Rookies? ;)

richieb315
05-20-2009, 09:43 AM
Were is he getting the gum for all these packs. Did anybody crack the case on that?

D. Bergin
05-20-2009, 09:51 AM
Were is he getting the gum for all these packs. Did anybody crack the case on that?

He's was buying cheaper 70's Non-Sport boxes and cases.

Donavon
05-20-2009, 09:51 AM
I cannot speak for this seller, but I do know that resealing happens often. I know someone who bought a box of 1975 Topps minis, opened the packs & resealed them. Those resealed packs graded very high through a major grading service by the way. Luckily....this person has no illusions of selling the graded packs. They are displayed very nicely next to the Bretts, Younts, Aarons & Ryans he pulled from them. :(

On a more personal note....I would never buy these packs (graded or not) for the simple fact that it is too easy to reseal them with no evidence of such.

DJR
05-20-2009, 09:52 AM

canjond
05-20-2009, 10:00 AM
I know someone who bought a box of 1975 Topps minis, opened the packs & resealed them. Those resealed packs graded very high through a major grading service by the way. Luckily....this person has no illusions of selling the graded packs.

I guess to each their own but I cannot fathom why someone would want to open the packs, reseal them and have them graded. Even if they have no intention of fraudulently selling them, what would happen if a relative sells them unknowingly, etc. Again, just makes no sense to me.

ethicsprof
05-20-2009, 10:05 AM
jon,
it makes no sense to me either, ole friend.
and that's a good thing!

best,

barry

egbeachley
05-20-2009, 10:35 AM
If you open the link and read, it looks like Ebay has nixed message board comments about the fraudulent seller. Protecting their revenue I guess.

martyogelvie
05-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Disappointing for sure but not superduper surprising..

i hate this kinda crap but what can you do..

sporteq
05-20-2009, 02:23 PM
WOW .... awesome.... OWNED!!

HOFAUTOS
05-20-2009, 05:22 PM
The findings were posted on the ebay discussion board on two seperate occasions. Both times they were *poofed*

packs
05-20-2009, 05:53 PM
i buy vintage unopened packs a lot and am always nervous when i take a leap of faith and take someone's word that a pack hasn't been opened. so far i haven't gotten burned and every raw pack i've ever bought has been deemed unopened by a major grading company. but now i'm curious as to whether or not this guy's packs crossed after they were purchased.

Scott Daloisio
05-20-2009, 08:37 PM
I bought some cheaper publications from this guy about four months ago. Basically when all is said and done with the shipping and low price the lots went for, he lost money on the deal. That part was great. However, they did not get shipped for nearly three weeks after the auction ended!!!

Jayjones82
05-21-2009, 03:56 PM
I bought a couple of packs from this guy that came back as "evidence of resealing." Unfortunately, I'd waited too long to send them off, so I couldn't leave feedback and I never got a response to e-mails.