PDA

View Full Version : trophys

khkco4bls
05-18-2009, 03:13 PM
guys, do you recommend cleaning old trophys or leave as is. thanks

mjkm90
05-18-2009, 06:28 PM
I clean the silver cups and figurals if the silver is in tact, but NEVER use a dip like Tarnex because they can take away detail. Use the type you hand rub. If you like it better with tarnish after cleaning don't worry, it will be back to the way it was soon enough. I wouldn't clean bronze or painted steal with anything but a clean rag because you don't want to lose patina or paint.

MGHPro
05-18-2009, 07:19 PM
Well said Mike, I agree.
Matt

sporteq
05-20-2009, 02:25 PM
I like trophy(s) cleaned ... IMO

Leon
05-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Personally I would always consult an expert before cleaning anything (such as is being done here). I can't count the number of times on the Antiques Roadshow that someone has cleaned something only to be told something like....."well, the value is $500 but had it not been cleaned it would have been worth $58,500".....:(

pgellis
05-20-2009, 07:57 PM
Hi Guys.....I own a trophy shop...mostly new stuff, small shiny soccer trophies for your kids. But, I have "cleaned up" some old trophies.

The answer to your question depends on what you want out of your trophy. If you want to re-sell it, the best thing is to leave it as it is. Let the buyer do what they want to it.

If you want to keep it forever, clean it if you want to. If you want to see a clean trophy, that is up to you .....but in the end, you will probably do more damage by cleaning it yourself and it will lose value.

So, my simple answer is to keep it as it is.....you will never lose value by "not" cleaning it.

Phil