PDA

View Full Version : Midwest Sports Collectors Show, Novi, MI

geor952
05-14-2009, 08:48 PM
I will be driving about an hour and a half to check out this show. Does anyone know of anyone setting up, other than Legendary Auctions? It is this Sat., May 16 and 17, at the Novi Convention Center. I would love to meet up with some MI collectors if anyone is interested. I don't know how much if any vintage, but still its a show.

www.midwestsportscollectors.com

geor952
05-17-2009, 11:44 AM
Well from the lack of replies to my post, I can tell the Michigan collectors were smarter than I was, regarding this show. The only pre-war, were a couple, less than ten, playball's and Batter-up's.

The highlight was definitely talking to Doug Allen and his partner. I had the opportunity to hold a newly acquired 19th century game used ball, along with touching Bob Gibson's Cy Young award. Doug was a perfect gentleman and incredibly knowledgable on the T206 set. Chatting with him and his partner about our hobby was a real treat. I wish them luck with their business.

All in all I think I will skip the next show held in Novi, MI.

Joe_G.
05-17-2009, 04:21 PM
Tell us more about the 19th century ball, was it a trophy ball? Will we be seeing it in the next Legendary Auction offerings?

Thanks !

geor952
05-17-2009, 06:04 PM
Joe,
It was signed by the winning pitcher of the game. Doug received several items from the palyer's family estate. I unfortunately don't recall the player's name. Legendary had several items at the show, including a full game used uniform from the pitcher. The ball was toned heavily, but very evenly. It was very hard, I remember being amazed at the fact there was no softness to the leather. It really was cool to hold. I want to say it was from 1879. It will be in an upcoming auction, my guess is their live auction at the National.

Rich Klein
05-17-2009, 07:53 PM
For Doug's T-206 Book. And that's very serious. IIRC; it was ready years ago; and I'd love to read it at some pt

Rich