PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Warning: 925Caliboy999

Anthony S.
05-13-2009, 10:57 AM
The above mentioned seller is the individual who listed the T206 Speaker on Ebay last week with the scan that had been stolen from another seller's auction. That auction was shut down thanks to the efforts of another Net54 member.

However, he also has 38 other T206 auctions ending within a two hour period today (including 31 HOFers) and the scans for at least 5 of those auctions were stolen from other sellers. I notified Ebay late last week and even included the item numbers of the auctions from which the scans were pilfered. Ebay filed its nails and casually looked the other way, so the auctions are still running.

Now I suppose the 33 auctions for which I couldn't locate the origin of the scans could conceivably be legit, but Ebay's completed auction search only maintains listings that ended within the past two weeks. So the odds are fairly decent that he simply lifted the other 33 scans from items that ended longer than two weeks ago.

I've attached a list of his auctions below. Once again, they all end today. If you want proof of his actions, check out his T206 Otey. It has a small black dot just to the left of Otey's mouth. Then run a completed auction search for Otey. You'll find that another seller, a legit seller with a feedback level of almost 20,000 sold the exact same T206 Otey (black dot and all) on May 6th. Both auctions were running concurrently for about 3 days last week.

Caveat Emptor.

http://tinyurl.com/o8nyh7

marvjung
05-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Hi Anthony - I caught onto this guy within minutes of his listings and on a previous thread, I tried to communicate with him about that "Speaker." I feel absolutely HORRIBLE and even more helpless at the fact that there are several people out there bidding on this jerk's auctions and they have no idea they're about to be duped..... :(

Potomac Yank
05-13-2009, 11:23 AM
If the low life is guilty, and caught .....

Let's not just talk about it ... band together, and ___

Legally Stomp him! ... Only way to get the message across, and stamp out rodents.

Ladder7
05-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Sadly, Ebay condones and even welcomes this behavior. In the old days <2008, it was easy (and great fun) to harass these DBs, as well as alert the gullable bidders. Many thousands $$ saved and headaches were prevented by those instigators.

Because these auctions were ended, interrupted and the unscrupuous sellers bailed, ebay/PP lost major revenue.

They went and removed all the 'safeguards' and naru'd the whistleblowers and made all transactions anonymous with their new interface. Result, the riff-raff has taken back the streets and ebay's enjoying more completed auctions.

It may appear that more folks than ever are getting scrood, but it's just ebay's way of 'protecting' us. :mad:

Someday, I hope some clever litigator crafts a class action suit. Pardon my rant

Potomac Yank
05-13-2009, 12:18 PM
No rant at all Steve, it's the truth ... and it's going to backfire.

chaddurbin
05-13-2009, 12:42 PM
i was a little suspicious when the background of all the cards were inconsistent...so i asked for better scans of the 4 big names and a group shot, never heard back from him.

makersmarkambassador
05-13-2009, 02:04 PM
Well, this seller may think he is getting away with this but I am sure it will bite you know where soon...

iggyman
05-13-2009, 02:06 PM
I owe you one Anthony, I was going to take a chance and put a snipe on a couple of his cards. This thread probably saved me some aggravation. Next time we are in a bar together, the drinks are on me!

Lovely Day...

jabiloxi
05-13-2009, 09:11 PM
Yep,

Noticed this yesterday and posted a thread asking what to look for when purchasing raw t206's. I have two friends who work for ebay I believe in San Jose, and specialize in customer service. They told me that fraud has been running rampant lately and possibly as Ladder7 stated it is because of the new interface. Caveat Emptor to all you guys buying right now. Be careful and consult board members if you have any hesitation.

Ebay really does lose money if they remove this guys listings, look at what all these cards ended for??? wow. Anyways, as the economy continues to stumble, there will be more people who will take advantage of any market that presents an easy cash flow.

This is one of them.

Best regards,

Joe

John V
05-14-2009, 06:14 AM
I've been following this thread. Being relatively new to all this, I'm a little confused on how you expect this to pan out. Will the seller just never deliver the card? If so, doesn't PayPal protect the buyer in the event this is a scam?
Thanks, John

iggyman
05-14-2009, 08:27 AM
Not to give the Chan's of the world any bright ideas, but.....

1. He could send you fake T206 cards (as opposed to the ones in his picture). You will then have to prove to eBay that they are fake.

2. He could also send you an empty bubble envelope and then blame it on the post office. Again, you will have to prove it to eBay.

3. Perhaps he will send some modern stuff instead (seashell cards?), then claimed it was a mistake and to please send the seashell cards back to him. At which point, he will eventually declare that the cards never arrived back to him. Thus, he will now keep the T206 Cy Young card as restitution for the now lost seashell cards.

4. I supposed, he could also use a delay tactic. Hoping the 45 day paypal refund period will expire.

5. Or, the seller after learning....

A. that the T206 museum was a fraud,
B. that Kevin S. might have a little "Jekyll and Hyde" in him,
C. that Mastro auction(s) didn't mind a little shill bidding,
D. that overprints will soon be selling on par with General Motors stock,
E. that the F.B.I. has other more pressing things to worry about,
F. that seashells are "more" valuable then 75 year-old stamps!

Decided to lash-out at everyone in the hobby in the only sane manner possible.

Lovely Day...

D. Bergin
05-14-2009, 09:23 AM
I've been following this thread. Being relatively new to all this, I'm a little confused on how you expect this to pan out. Will the seller just never deliver the card? If so, doesn't PayPal protect the buyer in the event this is a scam?
Thanks, John

Perhaps an Ebay going away party. He can immediately transfer that Paypal money into his banking account, drain it before the crap hits the fan and hit the road.

Not much Paypal can do at that point but hopefully law enforcement can do something before he starts up another account and pulls the same stunt over and over again.

Maybe Paypal might pay out to the buyer and take the hit themselves if it came to that, I don't know. Paypal and Co. doesn't seem like the benevolent type to me.

Potomac Yank
05-14-2009, 11:00 AM
Isn't PayPal owned by eBay?