PDA

View Full Version : Nobody's Perfect- Not Even REA

tbob
05-12-2009, 06:41 PM
Adam W. will get a kick out of this as he thinks I am the unluckiest collector in the world. From having GAI and UPS losing my entire set of E98s to Mastro losing an EXMT T207 Lowdermilk when I consigned the set to SGC losing a nice T207 Red Cycle back Moriarty to having an E98 Red Coombs which looked like a 7 or an 8 lost in the mail, the list goes on and on...
Today I picked up my shipment from REA, a 1955 Bowman complete set which was a nice mid to high grade set and surprise! They sent me the low grade 55 Bowman set. Damn! Hopefully they will respond, reimburse my return postage, find out where my set is (and hope to hell the guy who got it didn't do a little old card swapping before returning it).
Adam- that frigging black cloud just keeps on hovering over my head. :(
tbob

Kawika
05-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Wonder if old Joe Btfsplk collected vintage cards, too.

http://www.net54baseball.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=422&stc=1&d=1242177593

j/k T-Bob :)

tbob
05-12-2009, 08:21 PM
Just got off the phone with Rob Lifson who was very nice about it, apologized and confirmed that my set would be coming soon. All's well that ends well. I didn't mean to criticize REA at all by the way, just showing that everybody makes mistakes.
Sheesh, I may be the unluckiest collector on the planet, no wonder Adam W. always wants to find out which hotel and floor I am staying at at the National so he won't have to worry about floods, tornadoes or fires :-)
On the other hand I am very lucky to have so many collecting friends espcially guys like David McD, Alan, Bruce and others who have sent me cards in the past I needed and simply could not find, at no cost. It all evens out ;)
tbob

slantycouch
05-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Glad it's working out! Man you have had some bad luck...

sbfinley
05-12-2009, 11:34 PM
You could have really bad luck.......... or your postman's got a wicked collection started.

danmckee
05-14-2009, 02:12 PM
Sorry Bob, I will gladly trade you my bad luck for yours. You may have more frequent situations but ours have been devastating. 1991 robbery at the National $250K. 1981 Coin collection stolen from house about $80K at the time. Magie error lost by PSA $5K. I guess you were fortunate as you were reimbursed. We received $11K from the City of Anaheim for the 1991 robbery out of them purly feeling sorry for us. I think pop got to write off about $5K in taxes the year the coins were hocked. and after 2 court appearances to the West Coast, legal fees, travel fees, time off of work, I did manage to get a check from PSA of about $4K.

So what do you say Bob? Wanna make a trade?

Dan

e107collector
05-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Dan what was stolen at the National for $250,000?

oldjudge
05-14-2009, 04:20 PM
They may not be perfect, but they are as close as you can come in this hobby.