PDA

View Full Version : Question on Autographed baseballs

Blunder19
05-12-2009, 08:59 AM
I was wondering what room temperature, how much sunlight, and what humidity level is safe to have when placing auto baseballs in a room in my house. Just want to make sure I do not damage the ball where I place it as I am worried about both the signature and the tone of whiteness on the ball. Thanks
jamie

slidekellyslide
05-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Jamie, if you're talking about your recent Yankee ball you purchased I wouldn't display that at all. I'd have it under wraps and only bring it out to show people or to look at it yourself.

Blunder19
05-12-2009, 11:19 AM
yes I am talking about that one. :) Whats the fun in buying a ball but not being able to look at it.. I understand what you mean though... If I do decide to display it.. any tips on room conditions?

BillyCoxDodgers3B
05-12-2009, 11:25 AM
-Keep away from direct sunlight.
-Keep in as dark an area as possible.
-It's best if the room has no windows.
-Temperature is not really an issue, but humidity can be.

BrockJacob
05-12-2009, 11:33 AM
If you're going to have it on display get a good ball holder. The Steiner cases look the best and will keep it safe.
http://www.steinersports.com/ssm/control/product/~pid=CASEBAUSIO000

drc
05-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Amongst other things like limiting light, get a holder or display case that blocks out most UV light. Many of today's plastic normal ball cubes block out most UV and this the manufacturer's advertisers advertise this quality. Also, incandescent light bulbs give off less UV than fluorescent, meaning incandecent are less damaging.

Mark
05-12-2009, 12:38 PM
It's too bad you can't just ask the previous owner where he or she kept the ball. Whatever he or she did, it sure worked.

p.s. Kudos for working the "amongst" in there.

drc
05-12-2009, 10:30 PM
I was unable to find a spot to stick a whilst.

william_9
05-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Whilst temperature variations may have little to no impact, humidity and UV levels are amongst the most damaging environmental factors. Limit the UV exposure to as close to zero as possible. Relative humidity should be kept at roughly 50%. We have been handling early and valuable baseballs for nearly a quarter century and we only handle our baseballs with white cotton gloves.

Blunder19
05-12-2009, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the advice.

The display case I have for the ball has the UV protection.. also has a lock...
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg309/blunder19/display.jpg

got it from www.displaycase.com if anyone else is looking for something similar

Blunder19
05-12-2009, 10:53 PM
whilst someone can still take it off my wall amongst all the other display items i have. I feel the locking display is the way to go:cool:

william_9
05-12-2009, 11:05 PM
Our lawyers strongly advise us to not divulge our security measures, lest we should find ourselves burgled.

lug-nut
05-13-2009, 09:42 PM
i have mine displayed in a "lawyer's bookshelf" case (although not a lawyer) with the back of the case against the window wall with no direct sunlight going into the case. its in a uv protected cube and the glass door protects the items inside from dust.

if you want to send me the ball, i'll keep it on display for you in the case...just an option.