PDA

View Full Version : Video Clips of Players and Games

marvjung
05-11-2009, 03:53 PM
As I'm learning more about the Pre-War stuff and picking up some super cool cards (Barry, I WILL win on of your auctions on day! I know this!), I also like to read personal blogs of card collectors who collect the modern day stuff. I certainly appreciate the fact that they always take a moment to give a nod to the players from back in the day.

One of the blogs had the neatest clip - which I'm sure you all have seen before (or maybe not) of Mordecai pitching - I found the short clip absolutely fascinating - was wondering if any of ya'll had any clips of vintage material?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FzkyW7WcybU&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FzkyW7WcybU&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

williamcohon
05-11-2009, 04:02 PM
I suggest buying the Ken Burns Baseball series on DVD. There are amazing clips included. Walter Johnson, for example. And Christy Mathewson, Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, lot's of cool stuff.

packs
05-11-2009, 05:31 PM
awesome clip. he's really hiding that ball in his motion.

jbbama
05-12-2009, 10:24 AM
I am not a big youtube fan, however, they do have a good variety of baseball clips.

bmarlowe1
05-12-2009, 10:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wz8CC-kwtU&feature=related

The above link has a great 9 minute clip. Analysis of a small part of it:

The 4 Cubs visible in the 1:07-1:11 1910 WS pregame sequence in Philly are L to R Frank Chance shaking hands with the A's Harry Davis, Jimmy Sheckard, ?, Frank Schulte.

The Danny Murphy 2-run double (1:56) occurred in game 4 of the 1910 WS at West Side Grounds, so it's likely that the pitching sequence (1:24) is also game 4 (Bender is pitching). The only attempted bunt in game 4 that I can find in pitch by pitch game accounts (Chicago Tribune 10-23-1910) would indicate that the batter is King Cole, bottom of the 3rd inning. After the attempted bunt was missed (strike 2), he struck out on the next pitch - which appears to be a dropped 3rd strike in the video.

Since that batter is quite tall and thin - he may very well be Cole.

Note that with Bender pitching game 4 in Chicago, we can see Ira Thomas catching and Jack Barry at SS.

In the Danny Murhpy double sequence at 1:56, Jimmy Archer is catching, Tinker is at SS, and we get a quick look at Steinfeldt at 3rd at the end of the clip.

The "1904 World Champion NY Giants" sequence starting at 6:12 shows a 1905 celebration of the Giant's 1904 NL pennant (no WS in 1904).

At 7:41, it switches to film from the 1906 season in which the Giants wore those "World's Champions" jerseys to celebrate their 1905 WS win.

This clip of the Pirate's 1909 WS bench pans from R to L, so I'll provide a few ID's in that unusual order: R to L: Bobby Byrne, Mike Simon, ?, ? (coughing) , ?, Chick Brandom, ?