PDA

View Full Version : If you had a choice to make.........

Old Mill Man
05-08-2009, 11:39 AM
I am just curious about this as I have always wondered what some of you members would reply to this.If you owned a T-206 Doyle error card and had a chance to trade it in for a T-206 Wagner,Would you do the trade?And how many of you think the Doyle should be included as making the set COMPLETE?:eek:

Jacklitsch
05-08-2009, 11:53 AM
yes and no

I consider the set "complete" without the big 4

collectbaseball
05-08-2009, 12:08 PM
I'd definitely take Wagner!!! It might not be as rare, but it's one of the most recognizable and awesome (in both senses of the word) cards around. Then, I'd drop $300 on a nice Doyle N.Y. - it's close enough for me.

Mark
05-08-2009, 12:16 PM
I would take the Wagner because it would enable me to complete my Pirates team subset in t206.

T206Collector
05-08-2009, 12:16 PM
I am just curious about this as I have always wondered what some of you members would reply to this.If you owned a T-206 Doyle error card and had a chance to trade it in for a T-206 Wagner,Would you do the trade?And how many of you think the Doyle should be included as making the set COMPLETE?:eek:

Ceteris paribus, I'd rather have the Wagner.

ethicsprof
05-08-2009, 12:52 PM
yes and no, as steve murray says so pithily and accurately to your two questions respectively.

i believe that Doyle, at best, should be placed into something akin to
an ERRATA section.
i've argued this long ago and again and again and have learned to 'hush'---
i think. :)

best,

barry

Old Mill Man
05-08-2009, 04:30 PM
From the replies that I have read I tend to agree with them all and as far as the card being placed in an ERRATA section I agree.But I have to ask as for the Hush,have others gotten upset over this type of question and not liked the replies:confused:

Doug
05-08-2009, 04:35 PM
I'd say yes and yes. I'd rather have a Wagner, but for it to be a complete set I think it should include all of the cards.

egbeachley
05-08-2009, 04:37 PM
No and Yes.

You can always save up and buy a Wagner. You don't have that opportunity for the Doyle.

Leon
05-08-2009, 04:39 PM
No one would get upset over this type of question. It just doesn't have the same appeal as some other threads.....that's all. It's a good question. I would take the Wags because of the aura of the card. Plus I could see the Doyle being considered a print variation and not a "regular" T206. I am not really a T206 collector so have no opinion on that particular subject..

sb1
05-08-2009, 05:39 PM
In my opinion, a true T206 "set" should have an example of each different player/pose, thus a "complete" set should include a Wagner and a Plank, but would not have to have either the Magie error or Doyle corrected error, as they are the same pose(and teams although Doyle was mismatched. However one could argue that Elberfeld, Smith, etc which have the same pose but team changes listed would not need be included in the "set" either. Those would fall under the scope of a "master" set which would include every variation.

Whatever the case of the "variations" I just don't think you can call a T206 set "complete" without a Wagner or Plank, regardless of vlaue.

Scott

collectbaseball
05-08-2009, 06:04 PM
I'm going to slightly adjust my answer. I guess the circumstances surrounding how I got the Doyle would come into play -- if I had one in my possession now in my current situation then I would trade it away for a Wagner without hesitance. However, if I had purchased it and knew I could afford a Wagner if I saved up for a couple of years, the Doyle stays.

As for the set issue, I can't really pass judgement. However, I'm working on the T205 set and will consider it complete when I have all front variations. Maybe once I have the means I'll add the back variations but I don't really care about a stray line of stats or a missing letter. If I completed a T206 set sans the Big Four, I think I would always feel like it's not quite complete and resent it as it sits perched in a binder on my shelf, mocking me for never being able to quite finish it. Hughie Jennings would haunt my dreams, hopping and jumping around in some kind of Alice-in-Wonderland kaleidescopic gloom, his piercing laughter awakening me by night and terrorizing me by day. (Note: dramatization)

Steve D
05-08-2009, 06:16 PM
I would absolutely, positively, most definitely take the Honus Wagner, for two reasons:

1. If you want a Joe Doyle, you can always go for the easier variation. On the other hand, if you want a Honus Wagner, you only have the one card to choose from.

2. I mainly collect hall of famers; Wagner is in the HOF, Doyle is not.

Steve

Rob D.
05-08-2009, 06:27 PM
I'd choose the Wagner every day of the week.

drdduet
05-08-2009, 07:24 PM
sb1,

couldn't agree more.

danmckee
05-08-2009, 07:27 PM
No and Yes. The Doyle does not come available often, if you have the money, you can own a Wagner easily. A truly complete set includes all of the big ones including the true Doyle variation. Hence there are not many complete T206 sets out there. Dan.

ethicsprof
05-08-2009, 09:30 PM
i very much like your thread.

I was only referring to my 'hushing' aeons ago when i argued a bit too vociferously for the ERRATA section for the Doyle anomaly and found JimB with me and that was about it. Admittedly, JimB and I are buddies for life.

And obviously, I didn't 'hush' for long. :)

Keep these threads coming!

all the best,

Barry

Old Mill Man
05-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Thanks Barry and I understand just always wondered what others thought about that question.I mean I am not putting the Doyle card down but I feel that with the cards scarcity that Scott summed it up best by saying it would be a "master" set and I agree with him there.

AndrewJerome
05-08-2009, 11:01 PM
Not even close--I would much rather own the Wagner.

Andrew

Gecklund311
05-09-2009, 03:40 AM
I would easily choose the Wagner...the Doyle is just not an interesting card to me at all.

That said, if I owned either card and had the option of selling them I would do so. I think about the amazing collection that could be built with the proceeds from either card and couldn't justify keeping them.

martyogelvie
05-09-2009, 05:42 AM
To me its a no brainer. I take the Wagner every time. Wags is one of the greatest of all time. You have take him over the Doyle card. I know the Doyle card is rare and all but were talkings WAGS!!!