PDA

View Full Version : 50% off topic, 50% on topic

tothrk
05-07-2009, 02:46 PM
I am building a set of raw Diamond Stars and bought some graded cards (PSA). I've never busted open a slab before. What's the best way? Pry it apart? Cut it? Blow torch? Use the force - Darth Vader style? Seriously, the cards aren't expensive but I don't want to ruin them. Any help would be appreciated.

Now for the off topic part. Not much good news out there today, maybe this will cheer ya up. I've had this card for nearly 20 years. I spent a whopping 50 cents on it. It has returned millions in entertainment value. Check out my Harry Colon.:eek:

Kawika
05-07-2009, 02:59 PM
An Action Packed Harry Colon. I'm outta here.

Gecklund311
05-07-2009, 03:31 PM
The safest way I have used for PSA slabs is to simply take a pair of pliers or something similar and break off the corner of the slab. From there it is easy to use a knife to pry the slab open and remove the card.

Coincidentally, one of Harry Colon's biggest fans and a frequent attendee at Patriots games in that era was former New Hampshire Representative Dick Swett

dennis
05-07-2009, 03:48 PM
i just use a butter knife and work it into the seam on the top rt corner and in about 20 seconds the knife will work its way in and then pry it open. or place the slab on a hard surface and hit the top rt. portion gently with a hammer ,it will crack and then just pry it open.

FrankWakefield
05-07-2009, 04:05 PM
I strongly advocate not prying or sticking anything in there. One slip and your pry bar goes too far, you've damaged the card.

I set the slab on concrete and use a hammer and screw driver. I tap around the edges, patiently cracking the plastic. Eventually the front side will separate from what remains. No risk to the card.

I save the little paper slips. I didn't at first, but now I keep them. It's kinda neat to look at the slips anytime someone is opining about pop report accuracy.

Doug
05-07-2009, 04:15 PM
I've always taken a box cutter and gently run it around the edges until the seal is broken all the way around and it will open right up. It takes a while, but there's no prying involved that could possibly damage the card.

Mark
05-07-2009, 04:37 PM
I find that a butter knife does the job if, as was said, you start at the top. Then you just pull the two sides apart and there is your card. Now, does anybody have an easy open formula for GAI?

Joe Hunter
05-07-2009, 07:27 PM
I've cracked several GAI slabs, but they are much tougher than PSA, and you really have to be careful. I started by using pliers to crack one corner, and then carefully slid a screwdriver under the lip of the slab and gradually worked it around the sides. Eventually, the top will pop open, at least on one end, and by carefully lifting the opened side, slid the card out onto a soft surface like a bed. I've never had a problem, but, again, you have to be very careful. The one PSA slap I opened was a piece of cake compared to the GAI.

tothrk
05-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Butter knife worked great. Easier than anticipated. Thanks

BCD
05-07-2009, 10:36 PM
An Action Packed Harry Colon. I'm outta here.

I recognize ole Bob there! nice avatar!

:p

grandslamcardscria
05-07-2009, 11:25 PM
Be careful prying the slab apart! I learned an expensive lesson awhile back.
Notice the nice crease in my Mantle caused by a screwdriver. The back now has slight paper loss as well.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb182/Iowatinhead/1961-300.jpg

I am building a set of raw Diamond Stars and bought some graded cards (PSA). I've never busted open a slab before. What's the best way? Pry it apart? Cut it? Blow torch? Use the force - Darth Vader style? Seriously, the cards aren't expensive but I don't want to ruin them. Any help would be appreciated.

Now for the off topic part. Not much good news out there today, maybe this will cheer ya up. I've had this card for nearly 20 years. I spent a whopping 50 cents on it. It has returned millions in entertainment value. Check out my Harry Colon.:eek: