PDA

View Full Version : my new and improved 4-point grading scale

T206Collector
05-05-2009, 04:56 AM
I was giving a lot of thought to the SGC grading scale as well as PSA's somewhat recent adoption of half-point grades. Both companies are attemtping to categorize cards in as descriptive terms as possible -- and from a business standpoint, who could blame them? More possible grades means more potential revenue, especially at the top of the scale where minute differences in cards could result in big differences in grading (elasticity of high graded cards?).

Anyway, SGC claims to have a 100-point scale, which is untrue since there are no SGC 62s, and they would get skewered if they adopted a true 100-point scale. Heck, we can hardly agree on the differences between a 60 and an 80. They have the illusion of a broad grading scale, but with PSA's half-points, they're now both selling the same product, basically.

I think the illusion goes much deeper. And since I believe the true virtues of 3d party grading are to authenticate, identify alterations and show serious hidden defects, I think I could live with a 4-point scale:

1. Mint -- any card with sharpish corners, decent centering and no creases or blemishes.
2. Excellent - adopt SGC 60/PSA 5 definition
3. Very Good - adopt SGC 40/PSA 3 definition
4. Poor-Fair - anything less than VG.

Cards would continue to run the gamut --
some will be better than others at each level, just as they are today, but you would
have to use your own judgment as to aesthetics and value.

My way obviously eliminates the "ultra high grade" approach to collecting, at least as that grade is attempted to be defined universally by an objective source. It also would obviously hurt the graders a bit in the wallet. But I think there should be smaller scales and more independent judgment. Or at least, think these principles should underly the current grading system.

dennis
05-05-2009, 05:06 AM
thats old school grading and i do not have any problems with it.

"I believe the true virtues of 3d party grading are to authenticate, identify alterations and show serious hidden defects." i could not agree more.

buymycards
05-05-2009, 05:51 AM
I agree completely.

Rick

obcbobd
05-05-2009, 06:04 AM
I agree with your general principle, but feel the good/fair/poor grades have use especially when trading or buying a card unseen, a lot of people especially traders do not have scanners.

I think the way it was originally was fine w/ me. From the May 74 Trader speaks.

http://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=24&pictureid=198

I think most VG cards described above would likely be graded a 1/10 today.

T206Collector
05-05-2009, 06:14 AM
I guess I really am approaching this from an old school angle. If you stop to think about it, the grading companies did that, too. They only use the known parlance, but add qualifiers like "near" to mint -- kind of like adding an 11 to the volume knob.

Doug
05-05-2009, 06:39 AM
I'd put NM back in and go with this 5 point scale:

5. Mint
4. NM
3. EX
2. VG
1. Poor/Fair

The gap in condition between EX and Mint is too big to leave NM out IMO, otherwise I think your scale is on point.

Mrc32
05-05-2009, 06:43 AM
I find it interesting that your Trader Speaks grade chart does not mention centering at all.