PDA

View Full Version : Mears or Legendary Winners?

perezfan
05-01-2009, 09:11 AM
Wanted to post a new thread here, as I had not seen any new ones since the site migration...

I felt that Legendary realized amazing prices for the memorabilia they had. Except for perhaps the Spalding Trophy, I did not see ANY bargains, and prices seemed as high as ever. Many items sold for a lot higher than in the "pre-recession" days.

As for Mears, I thought there were lots of great bargains. They had some really nice stuff that went pretty cheap. Between Mears, Legendary, Historic, Premier and AMI (if you want to count them), I can not recall a single night when so many auctions closed at the same exact time.

With all of that activity, were there any winners last night?

MGHPro
05-01-2009, 09:19 AM
There were some great deals last night. I picked up the Spalding Hal Chase bat, the Spalding George Kelly and the 125 BR Ruth Bat in Mears.
Matt

Jay Wolt
05-01-2009, 10:30 AM
Had about 30 bids in Mears and won about 20.
Nothing more then $50 a lot though.
Had about 6-8 bids in Legendary and won nothing.
And there's always REA tomorrow and Goodwin on Thursday ;)

baseballart
05-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Forgot about Mears. Only lived vicariously through friends on Legendary. 1 item in REA I've already been outbid on (i.e. there was only 1 book of note)

yanks12025
05-01-2009, 12:28 PM
There was acouple items in Mears i was thinking of bidding on but decide not to. I really liked that Billy Martin 1976 yankee home jersey that was in legendary, but it went for $6,500. Hoping there will be stuff i like in the upcoming lelands auction.

ksfarmboy
05-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Matt, great pickup on the Chase bat it's a very rare bat. The Kelly is a toughie too and took me longer to find than the Chase. I bid on an Orioles jersey but came home empty in the Mears auction.

Clint

MGHPro
05-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Hi Clint,
When I saw your Chase awhile back, it made me want one real bad. Besides yours, the only other one I ever saw was in REA a year or two ago. What is the length of yours?
Thanks
Matt

ksfarmboy
05-01-2009, 03:29 PM
Matt, you've picked up some great bats lately. My Chase bat is 34-1/2" long also. I know it's different than what is listed in the catalog but at least a 1/4 of my Spalding bats are this way.

Clint

slidekellyslide
05-01-2009, 03:43 PM
I felt like the pinbacks sold cheaply compared to the past decade or so. I figured the PCL pins would really go high and they went really cheap. Most of the other memorabilia besides that Spalding trophy I thought went pretty high. Nothing for me in these auctions anyway, but it almost makes me want to jump in to the pinback side of things.....almost. ;)

Rob L
05-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Landed the 1999 Troy Percival All Star jersey from Grey Flannel:

BrockJacob
05-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Nothing for me all around. The reeded shin gaurds in the Mears auction were nice and very tempting but I managed to stay away. I thought they went pretty cheap too.

perezfan
05-01-2009, 04:43 PM
Brock:

I was looking long and hard at those Reeded Shins as well... tough to find a pair in decent condition like that. Even better was that Mint condition turn-of-the-century Chest Protector. I was the under-bidder, and couldn't quite pull the trigger on it, due to another purchase.

Somebody got a terrific buy on that one. Lots of incredible deals on some mid-range vintage pennants in Mears as well.

Baseball Glove Collector
05-03-2009, 10:22 AM
I won the chest protector. Hope it's as nice as the pictures indicate. I was watching the reeds and a couple of gloves as well, but couldn't risk getting everything so I just went hard for the chest protector.

JD

MGHPro
05-03-2009, 10:36 AM
Jim,
That's the way I felt. There were too many things being sold this week and it was better to stay focused on what you really wanted instead of being all over the place.

The Chest protector does look awesome tho.Congrats!
Matt