PDA

View Full Version : Comparing Boxers with Baseball Players

Archive
10-13-2008, 10:04 AM
Posted By: <b>Andy Baran</b><p>I was an avid baseball card collector before I sold my collection and turned my attention to boxing cards. For this reason, I tend to compare vintage heavyweight boxing with vintage baseball. I'm not sure if anyone else does this. Just thought I would share this concept with everyone to see your thoughts. The way it works is as follows:<br /><br />BLANK is to Boxing as BLANK is to Baseball<br /><br />Here is how I see it. There are no right or wrong answers.<br /><br />John L. Sullivan - Cap Anson (first 2 true superstars in their respective sports)<br />Jim Corbett - Mike Kelly (overshadowed by Sullivan and Anson in collectors eyes)<br />Bob Fitzsimmons - Nap Lajoie (both under-rated)<br />Jim Jeffries - Honus Wagner (not including the T206)<br />Jack Johnson - Ty Cobb (keys to any turn of the century set - Cobb would roll over in his grave if he heard this comparison)<br />Jess Willard - Walter Johnson (both huge men from Kansas)<br />Jack Dempsey - Babe Ruth (2 most popular athletes of the 20's)<br />Gene Tunney - Lou Gehrig (overshadowed by Dempsey and Ruth in collectors eyes)<br />Joe Louis - Jackie Robinson (no explanation necessary)<br />Rocky Marciano - Joe DiMaggio (popular Italian Americans)<br />Muhammad Ali - Mickey Mantle (popularity among collectors)<br />Joe Frazier - Willie Mays (overshadowed by Ali and Mantle in collectors eyes)<br /><br />That's enough for now. I think you get the picture. Am I the only one who wastes time thinking about this?

Archive
10-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Posted By: <b>D. Bergin</b><p>When I first got into collecting boxing it was because I liked older material and I couldn't really afford Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb cards and memorabilia and I wanted to collect an iconic athlete from the early 20th century or so.<br /><br />Jack Johnson is the boxer I latched on to and it pretty much snowballed from there.<br /><br />I can't say I've struggled with any of the same comparisons you have. Interesting concept though.<br /><br />Who's Harry Greb in the baseball world? Died young, fought a ton of fights but not a lot of material on him and extremely popular among collectors.<br /><br />

Archive
10-13-2008, 07:11 PM
Posted By: <b>John Nguyen</b><p>Christy Mathewson - died young, top 5 pitcher of all time, top tier HOFer, original HOF class inductee.

Archive
10-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Posted By: <b>Andy Baran</b><p>Maybe Addie Joss?

Archive
10-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Posted By: <b>boxingcardman</b><p>Babe Ruth: Muhammad Ali. The greatest personalities of the 20th century in their respective sports.<br /><br />Lou Gehrig: Gene Tunney. In the shadows of their predecessors.<br /><br />Nolan Ryan: George Foreman. Who wants to play forever?<br /><br />Mickey Mantle: Max Baer. Playboys who pissed away the chance to be the greatest of them all.<br /><br />Pete Rose: Jake La Motta. Doomed by their own personalities. <br /><br />Rafael Palmiero: Fernando Vargas. They both got caught. <br /><br />Barry Bonds: Shane Moseley. Same script, different sports. In an interview with ESPN.com Moseley said: "Unknowingly, yes, some of the substances they are talking about, were being used as part of the workouts. I didn't know what the hell it was." Riiighhhttt....<br /><br><br>Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Archive
10-24-2008, 06:22 PM
Posted By: <b>S Gross</b><p>Tommy Burns --- Eddie Collins -----&gt; Somehow never mentioned when the subject of great baseball'ers/boxers are brought up.