PDA

View Full Version : Boxing Card Show @ Canastota High School

Archive
11-05-2007, 09:11 AM
Posted By: <b>Alan</b><p>I've heard about the Boxing card & memorabilia show at Canastota High School each year (the Saturday) during the Boxing HOF weekend. From a buyer's point of view, what are your experiences like ? How is the vintage cards selection ? Prices ? etc,... in other words, is it worth going to ? How does it compare to, say, the National ?<br /><br />Thanks.<br />Alan

Archive
11-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Posted By: <b>Murr the Blurr</b><p>Hi, Alan:<br /><br />Although I've been to three Nationals, this past June was my first exposure to the Canastota HOF weekend show — and I was blown away. Vintage cards took a back seat to ephemera and memorabilia, but there was definitely something for everybody. I was able to add some hard-to-find 1920s Cuban cards to my collection, along with several vintage programs and ticket stubs I've been chasing for years. I also picked up a nice assortment of pre-WWII wirephotos and a couple of MSG on-site posters from the mid-1960s. <br /><br />Since it's ALL boxing, it's a buyer's market. Compared to the National and other big shows, depending on what you're looking for, sticker prices range from a little lower (cards, programs) to a little higher (posters, equipment, etc.) than what you might be expect to pay for vintage items. That said, I quickly discovered that boxing collector/dealers rank among the most amiable I've ever dealt with, and rarely are sticker prices "written in stone." Negotiation is expected — even encouraged — and most dealers are also very open to trade proposals.<br /><br />I'll definitely be back ... but I'll make sure to arrive Thursday night or Friday morning. I learned that a great deal of buying/selling/trading goes on at the local hotel(s) and even in the high school's parking lot the day before the actual show. It's a great atmosphere and very enjoyable.<br /><br />Hope this helps.<br /><br />

Archive
11-07-2007, 06:22 AM
Posted By: <b>boxingbaseballgolf33</b><p>I work with a dealer that sets up every year and we do very well with autograph items and programs. We sell a few cards, but the show is great<br /><br />Jimmy

Archive
12-08-2007, 10:47 AM
Posted By: <b>Alan</b><p>One time, I'd like to go to possibly set-up a small display of Jewish boxing information & memorabilia, not to buy or sell anything, but just to have a display. Perhaps, in conjunction with a Jewish boxer being inducted or some such event... Just a thought.<br /><br />Alan

Archive
06-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Posted By: <b>Alan</b><p>Did anyone go this past weekend ? Review ?