PDA

View Full Version : Boxing Card Show @ Canastota High School

Archive
11-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Posted By: <b>Alan</b><p>I've heard about the Boxing card & memorabilia show at Canastota High School each year (the Saturday) during the Boxing HOF weekend. From a buyer's point of view, what are your experiences like ? How is the vintage cards selection ? Prices ? etc,... in other words, is it worth going to ? How does it compare to, say, the National ?<br /><br />Thanks.<br />Alan

Archive
11-06-2007, 12:59 AM
Posted By: <b>Murr the Blurr</b><p>Hi, Alan:<br /><br />Although I've been to three Nationals, this past June was my first exposure to the Canastota HOF weekend show and I was blown away. Vintage cards took a back seat to ephemera and memorabilia, but there was definitely something for everybody. I was able to add some hard-to-find 1920s Cuban cards to my collection, along with several vintage programs and ticket stubs I've been chasing for years. I also picked up a nice assortment of pre-WWII wirephotos and a couple of MSG on-site posters from the mid-1960s. <br /><br />Since it's ALL boxing, it's a buyer's market. Compared to the National and other big shows, depending on what you're looking for, sticker prices range from a little lower (cards, programs) to a little higher (posters, equipment, etc.) than what you might be expect to pay for vintage items. That said, I quickly discovered that boxing collector/dealers rank among the most amiable I've ever dealt with, and rarely are sticker prices "written in stone." Negotiation is expected even encouraged and most dealers are also very open to trade proposals.<br /><br />I'll definitely be back ... but I'll make sure to arrive Thursday night or Friday morning. I learned that a great deal of buying/selling/trading goes on at the local hotel(s) and even in the high school's parking lot the day before the actual show. It's a great atmosphere and very enjoyable.<br /><br />Hope this helps.<br /><br />

Archive
11-07-2007, 08:22 AM
Posted By: <b>boxingbaseballgolf33</b><p>I work with a dealer that sets up every year and we do very well with autograph items and programs. We sell a few cards, but the show is great<br /><br />Jimmy

Archive
12-08-2007, 12:47 PM
Posted By: <b>Alan</b><p>One time, I'd like to go to possibly set-up a small display of Jewish boxing information & memorabilia, not to buy or sell anything, but just to have a display. Perhaps, in conjunction with a Jewish boxer being inducted or some such event... Just a thought.<br /><br />Alan

Archive
06-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Posted By: <b>Alan</b><p>Did anyone go this past weekend ? Review ?