PDA

View Full Version : grading help

Archive
02-27-2009, 09:08 PM
Posted By: <b>matt</b><p>Hi everyone, I need a little help. I have been collecting cards and periodicals fro 50's 60's and 70's for years. Now I want to sell some of it. I need to know if having cards graded first is the way to go. I really hate the idea, but if that is the way to maximize value, I guess I would have to bite the bullet. Are services generally flawed? is there one service that is reputable? am I better off not getting graded and just try to present the best pictures available on line?. After seeing that Pete rose 79 card sell for top dollar, I figure it might be the way to go. thanks for any help

Archive
02-28-2009, 08:19 AM
Posted By: <b>Rob</b><p>A lot depends on the kind of cards you have. If you have a 1958 Sandy Koufax with a crease, it is probably better to sell ungraded, as the grade you would receive would not be favorable. However on the other hand if you have a beautiful looking card getting it graded can do nothing but help.<br><br>The most reputable would IMO easily be SGC. No company grades a card more accurately. <br><br>- Rob<br>

Archive
02-28-2009, 10:18 AM
Posted By: <b>Peter</b><p>If you have any star or super star cards or ultra rare (variation) cards that are really nice (grade at least an 8), it would be worth your while to have them graded prior to selling them in my opinion. If you want the highest prices for your cards on resale, I would recommend having the cards graded by PSA. They have the largest collector base of post war cards becasue of their card registry and I believe your cards would bring you the highest return if they are in PSA holders.

Archive
02-28-2009, 02:31 PM
Posted By: <b>MATT</b><p>I appreciate the info. Is there a year say after 1980 where grading is probably a waste unless you are somewhat sure that it will grade very high.<br>also at what grade is the investment to have it graded a waste ( after calculating cost and postage. a 5,6 7?

Archive
02-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Posted By: <b>Peter</b><p>I personally would not grade any cards later than 1970 unless it is a superstar rookie card that is going to obtain a minimum of PSA 8. If you are looking past 1980, I would not grade any unless I thought they would obtain a minimum of PSA 9. From the 50's and 60's I would not bother unless a superstar card would obtain a minimum of PSA 7. There are of course a few exceptions. Any 52 topps high number card (311-407) getting PSA 3 or better or any 52 topps low number (1-80) card getting PSA 6 or better would be worth it. These are just rough guidelines - Pick up a Beckett graded card investor or PSA SMR guide and have a look - if a graded card is not in the guide, then do not bother. Check out the graded prices. It is going to cost you $15-20 USD (including shipping and insurance) to grade with PSA (unless you give them a large order). The card better be worth at least $50 to make it worth while.