PDA

View Full Version : First post: Hello to all, and HELP!!!! on research regarding 1953-55 Stahl-Meyer Franks

Archive
01-12-2009, 09:05 AM
Posted By: <b>Brian Powell</b><p> Hello to all from northern Indiana. This is my first post. I have had a lot of fun reading the pre-war and post-war boards. Thought it was high time to join in on the action. However, I am embarrassed to say, my manner of joining in is to really to make a plea for some help on a regional baseball issue.<br><br> For severel years, I have been putting together an informative, relevant, and fun article on the 1953-55 Stahl-Meyer Franks baseball cards. Like Charlie Chan, I have many questions. Just in case you do not know what a Stahl-Meyer card looks like, simply go to eBay search, and type in &quot;Stahl-Meyer.&quot; Usually there are severel available. Please, PLEASE, if any of you could help me on one or more of the following questions, I'd be most happy to give you credit, or, if you wish anonymity for some reason, fine. Here are some of my info needs:<br><br> 1. Did any of you collect the Stahl-Meyer Franks baseball cards DURING THE YEARS OF THEIR ISSUE---1953,1954, or 1955? What are your memories of these cards, even if you only ever got one card? Were they at all popular with the other kids you knew who collected?<br><br> 2. Does anyone have any original advertisements on the Stahl-Meyer baseball card promotion of 1953 or 1954? A high quality color photocopy would be very useful, and I would pay well.<br><br> 3. Does anyone have a 1953 Stahl-Meyer baseball kit given to supermarket or grocery store meat dept. managers to help them with the baseball card promotion? Again, I would pay well for a high-quality color photocopy. (Now, I am not referring here to the Johnny Stahl-Meyer baseball kit of 1954. That's a different kit.)<br><br> 4. Does anyone recall getting a Stahl-Meyer all-beef frankfurter at the Polo Grounds, Yankee Stadium, or Ebbets Field during 1953-55? If so, how good was a Stahl-Meyer frankfurter? What was the reputation of a Stahl-Meyer all-beef frankfurter sold at the ballpark (or cellophane package, for that matter)?<br><br> 5. The two types of hot dogs sold at the 3 NYC major league ballparks in 1953-1955 were Stahl-Meyer all-beef, and Hygrade's all-beef. So, which was better? Which was the most expensive at the ballpark? Anyone recall how much? Anyone have a memory? (IF BY CHANCE YOU ARE TOO YOUNG, AND HAVE A LIVING RELATIVE WHOM YOU KNOW ATTENDED THE GAMES BACK THEN, WOULD YOU PLEASE INVEST THE TIME AND ASK THEM; YOU MIGHT BE SURPRISED AT HOW MUCH THEY REMEMBER. FURTHER, YOU MIGHT HAVE A VERY NOSTALGIC AND UNFORGETTABLE CONVERSATION ON OLD BASEBALL, EVEN IF IT IS POST-WAR. AFTER ALL, WE ARE TALKING ABOUT 55 YEARS AGO.)<br><br> 6. Does anyone recall getting a free baseball card or two with the purchase of 2-4 Stahl-Meyer frankfurters from their concession stand at the ballpark?<br><br> I hope at least a few of the board members can help me here. Yes, this was a long time ago, but I guess we're all in our own way trying to make the pleasant past come alive. Thank you. Respectfully, Brian Powell at bfpowell2003@yahoo.com<br><br>