PDA

View Full Version : 1956 Ford variation question

Archive
07-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Posted By: <b>B O'Brien</b><p>Hello all,<br />I have a 1956 Ford on ebay now and am getting a lot of questions about the colors of the lines in the name box. Can you guys give me a heads up on what I may be missing.<br />Thanks,<br />RJO

Archive
07-27-2008, 03:59 PM
Posted By: <b>Al</b><p>In the 1956 set there are some printing irregularities on some cards that result in colored line variations in the area of the team or players name on some card fronts. The list may have expanded over time but at one time cards 5 ( Williams), 184 (Bessent), 187 (Wynn) and 240 ( Ford) had the variations. In the case of Ford, the variations involved any of the following...yellow line over his name....red line over his name....red line over the team name.....no line. If you look on ebay now, you will see one seller offering a "red line" variation of that card

Archive
07-27-2008, 04:48 PM
Posted By: <b>B O'Brien</b><p>Al,<br />Thanks for the help. Anything on the Aaron? The one that I have listed now (sampson21) looks to have one too. Any thoughts?<br />Thanks,<br />RJO

Archive
07-28-2008, 08:02 AM
Posted By: <b>Al</b><p>Had not heard of Aaron having the variation, but if you have one with a line, I would check other 56 Aaron auctions and see if they all have the same line. If not it seems to me it would qualify. Problem is these variations are not well recognized. I found out about them in a 1989 publication by a guy named Dick Gilkeson who published a very comprehenive "book" on sports card post war variations. He updated the book several times, the last I am aware of in 1997. Since I am not a graded card guy I do not know if these things are included in most "master" checklists for player or set purposes. Since these are print defects rather than true variations, many people ignore them. On the other hand, the Herrer and the Bakep are also just print defects