PDA

View Full Version : 1960s-70s Dodger Postcards

Archive
07-22-2008, 10:08 AM
Posted By: <b>Andy Cook</b><p>Does anyone have a checklist they could share? I know I need lots of them, just not who. These are the postcards you could buy at the stadium. I do have some of these to trade as well as 1971 Ticketron Dodgers for ones I need. My dupes are listed at <a href="http://members.aol.com/typecard/trade.html" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://members.aol.com/typecard/trade.html</a><br />Thanks,<br />Andy<br />typecard@aol.com

Archive
07-22-2008, 09:09 PM
Posted By: <b>Anthony N.</b><p>Andy- most or all of the sets are listed on PSA's registry, although not the Ticketron sets. I've got lots of '59 dupes to trade, and RDimand on these boards has an extensive collection.<br /><br />

Archive
07-23-2008, 08:31 AM
Posted By: <b>Robert Collet</b><p>There's a checklist (through '74) in The Sports Collectors Bible. I'm not sure it's entirely accurate. <br /><br />Bob C

Archive
07-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob Lemke</b><p>Earlier editions of the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards had complete checklists of the LAD team-issued PCs of the 1960s-70s. More recent editions, since around the 2005-dated book, eliminated most such issues from 1960+. A very-late 1990s edition should have the checklists you seek. I no longer have access to those early books.

Archive
07-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Posted By: <b>Andy Cook</b><p>I found a 2003 SCD in my basement and it has all the checklists. Thanks for the tip.<br /><br />Andy

Archive
07-23-2008, 09:02 PM
Posted By: <b>Dave Hornish</b><p>I would pay $100 or so for a full vintage edition of the Standard Catalog if it had ALL of the major/minor/PC/oddball listings thru 1980. Especially if the it became a 2 column book!

Archive
07-24-2008, 02:44 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob Lemke</b><p>In my SportsFest conversations with the survivors of the F+W sports staff, when I first heard they were going to issue the CD for the vintage stuff, I suggested that since they were going the CD route they could very easily, and at no extra cost, include all of the stuff in the data base that has to be excised from the ink-on-paper book over the years. I don't know when/if that will happen.

4reals
06-23-2013, 11:16 AM
It's been 5 years since this thread trailed off...I was wondering if there was an update to the original question. Is there a website I can visit to get the checklists for free? My searches have turned up empty. Specifically, I am looking for checklists of any and all Dodgers team issued postcards and photo sets. Currently the only thing I've found are the 1959 and 1960 postcard checklists that mirror the Morrell Meats cards. Thanks!

aelefson
06-30-2013, 07:22 PM
Joe-
I am not sure if this helps, because I have no idea of the years for either packet, but below are scans of the envelope and a picture from two different partial photo packs I recently acquired. I scanned all of them, so please let me know if a specific player will help you determine the year.
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

4reals
07-01-2013, 10:49 AM
Alan,

Nice pickups! Strange, but I am always much more fascinated with the team envelopes from these sets than the actual pics themselves. I recently found a couple new catalogs that have helped me identify all of the Dodgers post cards over the years. The photo packs are another story as different publishers call them different things when cataloging and they don't catalog EVERY year. They team issued photos are also easily confused with the Jay Publishing sets. The first picture and envelope you shared I am pretty certain are from the 1958 Jay Publishing set. The second picture has me scratching my head, Torborg played between '63-'70 for the Dodgers and I can't find him in any of the photo sets cataloged in any of the publications. The envelope associated with it is described the same as the 1970 Team Issued Photos in the Beckett Almanac but they don't show Torborg on the checklist for that year. Plus Torborg looks younger in the photo so I'm inclined to think it's a team issued photo and envelope from '66-'68. I don't know for sure though because I still haven't found a catalog with detailed descriptions of EVERY year.

aelefson
07-01-2013, 05:22 PM
Thanks Joe! Here are more scans from each pack to get a better idea of the player selection. I am guessing the first grouping (1st scan above) is actually later because of Maury Wills inclusion.
Alan

aelefson
07-01-2013, 05:24 PM
Here are the rest from the second grouping.

aelefson
07-01-2013, 05:26 PM
The remainder of the second pack

Edited to add: I completely missed that the Torborg is different from the others in the second group. It must be from a different year.
Alan

4reals
07-02-2013, 08:20 PM
From what I can tell, the Team Issued sets all looked like your second set with a facsimile auto on the bottom border. The Jay Publishing sets used a type font at the bottom border of theirs. Your Drysdale and others actually came from the 1965 Jay Publishing set commemorating the WS Champion team which is why the sashes are hung over the rail in the background. There are actually error variations for the Willie and Tommy Davis pics that year, you have the correct versions. The Team Issued pics you scanned are from various years, you don't have a complete set of those from what I can tell based on the scans provided. Note, a couple of the same pics used in the '65 Jay Pub. set were used in the team issued set, those are your '65's, but you have some players that weren't in that set such as Jim Brewer, Joe Moeller, Gilliam, Ferrara, and Regan. Gilliam's last year in a Team Issued set was '60 based on what the Beckett Almanac says.

aelefson
07-03-2013, 06:27 PM
Thanks Joe! I really appreciate all of your information. Good luck in your quest!

Alan