PDA

View Full Version : the Braves got off to a slow start in the '50s

Archive
07-06-2008, 10:01 AM
Posted By: <b>G. Maines</b><p>Heck, Mathews started while they were still in Boston, in '52.<br />And Adcock came the following year. With Aaron a year later.<br />But they had Buhl to go along with Burdette and Spahn.<br />I kept waiting for them to win. But it took until '57 - why?<br /><br />Clearly their two big guys were better than Hodges and Snider, and Adcock was a clutch hitter in Berra's league. And there were plenty of others.<br />And the staff was not lacking. Nobody was a Spahn.<br /><br />Gee, to my thinking: Aaron was better than Mantle, Adcock and Berra a push, which leaves what? Eddie Mathews unanswered.<br />Spahn better than Ford, Burdette and Buhl better than the others; which leaves what? the Yankees win almost every year, why?

Archive
07-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Posted By: <b>Dave Hornish</b><p>I think the Dodgers had something to do with it....

Archive
07-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Posted By: <b>pas</b><p>The 63-66 Giants had Mays, McCovey, Cepeda, Marichal and G. Perry and didn't even win the NL pennant.

Archive
07-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Posted By: <b>Tim</b><p>I think this is a great question and certainly fun to compare. However we all know that simply comparing player to player stats doesn't make for a championship.<br /><br />Who's currently 4 games up in first place in the AL East?

Archive
07-08-2008, 08:44 AM
Posted By: <b>Jason L</b><p>I would think that you need to throw in Campy when discussing the catcher to catcher match-up.<br /><br />but looking back at his stats, I just noticed something that I had never seen before - he was a tremendously on and off-again performer for several years. <br />Very weird. According to Baseball-Reference.com:<br />He would hit .325 and win the MVP award in 1951 <br />Then in 1952, he hit .269<br />Then in 1953, he was back on, hitting .312 and win the MVP award<br />Then he hit .207 in 1954 <br />and then in 1955 he would win the MVP again and hit .318<br /><br />That kind of performance would really draw media attention these days...<br />

Archive
07-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Posted By: <b>John H.</b><p>I love the Milwaukee Braves even though they moved to Atlanta when I was seven and I have never lived in Milwaukee. There is something mythical about the Braves 13 year stay in the city.<br /><br />Despite all of the starpower they had, the Braves were almost always missing an important piece of the puzzle. Whether it was a secondbaseman, relief pitching, a leftfielder, a competent manager or too many injuries, it was always something. Even in 1957, Adcock missed a large part of the season and Bruton missed most of it, meaning that Aaron had to play centerfield. The Braves should have won two or three more pennants to go along with the two they did win but at least they never had a losing season in Milwaukee.