PDA

View Full Version : Topps Inserts

Archive
04-26-2008, 10:12 AM
Posted By: <b>Tim</b><p> Hello,<br /> I am just starting a collection of Topps Inserts from the 60's and early 70's(coins,stamps decals posters,etc...)<br />Is there a price guide out there for such items? A grading Guide?<br />Any informative Web sites other than;<br /><a href="http://www.oldbaseball.com/refs/topps.html" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.oldbaseball.com/refs/topps.html</a><br /> Does anyone have any info on a recent Warehouse find of the 1969 Topps Decals that are all over e-bay--are they legit and of the period?<br /> It seems to me that the price of 60's and 70's inserts are very reasonable compared to the overproduced modern Junk--I hope they stay that way for a while! <br /> Thanks for helping,<br />Tim

Archive
04-26-2008, 11:21 AM
Posted By: <b>Al</b><p>You are in luck. David Hornish is a regular poster here.<br /><br /> I think I have all the 60s and 70s pack insert sets done. I used the SCD Standard Catalog as my checklist, although it and other price guides for these types items are in my view useless. I can give you some idea of what it took me to put any specific set, but it was over time

Archive
04-26-2008, 02:54 PM
Posted By: <b>larry</b><p>69 decals had a huge find a few years back of 3 uncut rolls of 10000<br />each roll had 12 players...making 833 of each player<br />i always assumed they were purchased at auction for the purpose of cutting them up<br />however the 4th roll was never found and the 4th roll contains mantle and clemente

Archive
04-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>Al,<br /> David Hornish's site was a Wealth of information and it appears this forum is my best bet for any future Questions on the inserts(I am reading every page!).<br /> Congradulations on completing the insert sets--It must be a beautiful collection.<br /> How do you store/display 69 decals(I have mine loose in an 8x10 "Hardcard") so that the do not detach from the backing paper? And the same Question for stamps to keep them from sticking?<br /><br />Larry,<br /> Thanks for the great info on the Decals,833 of each player dosent seem like a lot to me so now may be the time to buy them.<br />Thanks for the input.<br />I did find the "Virtual Card Collection Site" that has some checklists and images of a number of inserts. <br />Tim

Archive
04-26-2008, 10:14 PM
Posted By: <b>Dave Hornish</b><p>You peeps is too nice to me....<br /><br />I am hopeful of updating my long obc oddball Topps article someday; I slowly work toward that goal. I just completed a draft of what I think is the complete list of Topps issues (sports and non) from 1949-80; just tweaking the formatting and then I'll circulate it for comments. More time would be nice, but as we all know it is fleeting.....<br /><br />I am drawing down to type cards, or Mets team sets, on many of the harder Topps test/supplemental issues as I have started chasing T206 and some other pre-war stuff at the moment. Can't collect it all and I am really liking the older cards of late.

Archive
04-27-2008, 08:21 AM
Posted By: <b>Al</b><p>I have both in 15 pocket sheets ( although I have some uncut strips in 3 pocket sheets ). So far no problems

Archive
04-29-2008, 06:28 AM
Posted By: <b>Shane Hardie</b><p>What is Dave's site? Could someone post a link?

Archive
04-29-2008, 07:46 AM
Posted By: <b>Al</b><p>Shane---there is link in firat post on this thread

Archive
04-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Posted By: <b>Dave Hornish</b><p>Just go to the library section on the site. OBC is not mine, I was an active member for about 15 years and recently became inactive, primarily because I no longer collect regular Topps issues (with a couple exceptions) but it is a great group. You should poke around the library section-many, many good articles are in there.

Archive
04-30-2008, 02:59 PM
Posted By: <b>Shane Hardie</b><p>Thanks, Al. I guess if I would open my eyes, I would have seen that.<br /><br />I have been there many, many times. That page has a wealth of information. I just didn't recognize Dave's name and catch the connection. Great job, Dave on all of that info.

Archive
04-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Posted By: <b>Al</b><p>Take care, Shane, we do not want him to get a big head or anything

Archive
04-30-2008, 08:56 PM
Posted By: <b>Dave Hornish</b><p>7 3/4"