PDA

View Full Version : What's the Deal with the 1952 Bowman Casey Stengels?

Archive
11-26-2007, 09:06 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>There has been a seemingly endless flow of 1952 Bowman Casey Stengels in one Mastro auction after another. The current one has several more groups, including ten cards all grading PSA 9! You can buy them Mint by the bushel!<br /><br />Does anyone know the story behind these? If this was already discussed, please forgive my redundancy.

Archive
11-26-2007, 04:19 PM
Posted By: <b>Ted Zanidakis</b><p>This was touched on in another thread a few months back. Apparently, there was a find of approx. 50 near mint Stengel's.<br />This is a tough to find (in nice shape) Hi (#217) card in the 52B set. over the years there have been such finds of other<br /> 52B cards that are also difficult in near mint condition. In 1982, I came across a find of 22 Joe Collins (#181) cards. This<br /> card, like the Stengel are tough since they occupied the upper left corner on a 36-card sheet. Therefore, cards like Collins<br /> and Stengel were more susceptible to dinged corners, etc.<br /><br />TED Z

Archive
11-26-2007, 04:33 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>What would be the explanation behind the hoard of a single player? And it appears there have been way more than 50- more like 100+- that have surfaced.

Archive
11-27-2007, 04:54 AM
Posted By: <b>Rich Klein</b><p>The old Sports Corner Store in New Jersey would occassionally get a huge quantity of mint condition cards of a select 52 Bowman card as well. I picked up a few singles that way.<br /><br />Someone may have hoarded some over the years<br /><br />Rich

Archive
11-27-2007, 12:10 PM
Posted By: <b>Jason L</b><p>I got them from my grandpa's attic.<br />They was a stack of nearly 300 of them sitting next to a printing press and sheet cutter, along with some uncut sheets of other vintage, impossibly mint, incredibly rare tobacco cards of ridiculously famous baseball players.<br /><br />I have been supplementing my income handsomely! <br /><br />(Please note that if there are any IRS-types out there reading this, I would like to go on record to say that the above is entirely fictional and meant only as a humorous interlude for the members of this Board. Any unauthorized use or re-transmission is strictly prohibited).<br /><br /><br />Edited to add:<br />Rich, I'll send you an email...thanks for the photo<br /><br />All, these types of "finds" seem incredibly unlikely, don't they? I mean, what is the consensus thinking on the prbabilities of these finds and whether or not they are suspect (meaning, aren't they likely reprints or altered or something)?