PDA

View Full Version : 1952 Topps Gus Zernial

Archive
10-13-2007, 10:02 PM
Posted By: <b>Leslie Westbrook</b><p>Just wondering....<br /><br />Does anyone know the history behind the weird 1952 Topps Gus Zernial card? Why that pic? What's with the baseballs? What's going on here? <br /><br />I love the card, but c'mon, what's the deal?

Archive
10-14-2007, 04:42 AM
Posted By: <b>bobw</b><p>Zernial hit 6 homers in 3 games in May of 1951.<br /><br />From an interview with Zernial:<br /><br />" Zernial swatted seven home runs in a four-game span in May 1951 to share an American League record with Tony Lazzeri (who did it in 1936) and Frank Howard (who did it in 1968.) Zernial is pictured on his popular 1952 Topps baseball card holding a bat with six baseballs stuck to it - symbolizing his record-tying six homers in three games.<br /><br />“We used scotch tape,” Zernial explained. “Later that same day after we took the picture, I hit a home run my first time up for seven home runs in four games. We didn’t bother taking another picture with seven balls.”<br />

Archive
10-16-2007, 11:24 AM
Posted By: <b>Leslie Westbrook</b><p>Quick, accurate responses like this are why I enjoy this board so much.<br /><br />Thanks!