PDA

View Full Version : 1969 White-Letter Mantle Scarcity, Perceived or Real

Archive
10-03-2007, 10:02 AM
Posted By: <b>peter chao</b><p>I'm following up on Jim Parker's prior thread examining the scarcity of the '67 B Robby and '70 Bench. The interesting thing about the '69 White Letter Mantle is I don't see it very often in card stores, but I do see it often in auction catalogs.<br /><br />That leads me to think that there is no real scarcity but that perhaps a few collectors are hoarding this card. Also, this card is going for almost $2,000 in NM, so is it overpriced?<br /><br />Peter C.

Archive
10-03-2007, 03:24 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob</b><p>Peter,<br /><br />If you go by the PSA Pop report, the '69 Topps WL Mantle is four times rarer than the same card with yellow lettering. That's probably a pretty accurate gauge since one would figure that gradable Mantle's would be submitted whether they were WL or YL. With 643 WL Mantles graded, I definitely wouldn't call it a scarce card (far from it). It's just scarcer than the yellow letter variety.<br /><br />Bob<br />

Archive
10-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>If the white letter variation is worth more $$ it's more scarce, as scarcity is determined by demand versus supply.<br /><br />Rarity is a measure of supply only.