PDA

View Full Version : OT: ken griffey

Archive
09-20-2007, 10:11 AM
Posted By: <b>dennis</b><p>i don't know if any saw but griffey suffered what looks like a season ending injury. too bad,an injury like this might make him call it quits. just an inning or so earlier he struck out and when he reached the top of the dugout stairs he gave a young fan his bat. the kid and adults look really surprised,saw this on the local chi-town feed as the game was a national on espn so i don't know if they showed him handing over his bat on espn.too bad this guy was a great player and is perhaps done. sad because he's the one who we all thought would break aarons home run record.

Archive
09-21-2007, 06:06 AM
Posted By: <b>Jason L</b><p>It is very unfortunate.<br />I think he is the greatest player of this generation.<br /><br />I tuned into the ESPN broadcast, but it was after the bat incident...the ESPN guys mentioned that it happened and showed the kid - I think an inning or two later? Don't know if they televised it as it happened.

Archive
09-21-2007, 09:11 AM
Posted By: <b>Paul S</b><p>I saw the injury segment on ESPN2 about 10-10:30 eastern time. The announcer said it looked like a groin injury. Haven't been near a TV or radio yet and so don't know the update. I don't recall them showing the bat segment -- what a guy! -- but that's almost like an omen. Re his career injuries in general, just shows what can happen, as I think we all thought he was onto the homer record.

Archive
09-21-2007, 11:22 AM
Posted By: <b>nbrazil</b><p>i think he'll be back to try to reach 600 hrs.<br /><br />it's funny how injuries may have save griffey from his fall from media/fan grace back when he left the mariners. he was raked over the coals for his persistent efforts in trying to get himself traded to the reds. he was viewed as arrogant, aloof and greedy. i remember reading several articles asking where the kid with the backwards hat, free swing and exuberant smile went to.<br /><br />after years of injuries...and im sure years of humility...griffey is back in the good graces of the public.

Archive
09-21-2007, 11:49 AM
Posted By: <b>Paul S</b><p>Yeah, I remember that happy-go-lucky kid attitude that the media always played up. I won't assume I know what it takes to present this side to the media all time, or what goes on in his life, or a player's personal threshold. Re the money, he's no different than almost any other player. But look at the people Seattle's let go to free agency, Randy Johnson and A-Rod, for instance.

Archive
09-21-2007, 05:12 PM
Posted By: <b>peter chao</b><p>Check-out Yahoo Sports, press release says Ken Griffey will be out for the rest of the season.<br /><br />Peter C.