PDA

View Full Version : money well spent?

Archive
08-17-2007, 10:01 AM
Posted By: <b>PS</b><p><a href="http://auction.milehighcardco.com/displayitem.php?item=420&category=Closed%20Auction" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://auction.milehighcardco.com/displayitem.php?item=420&category=Closed%20Auction</a>

Archive
08-17-2007, 12:10 PM
Posted By: <b>Steve Murray</b><p>No

Archive
08-17-2007, 12:51 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>I would say "Depends".....money well spent for me is not the same as money well spent for someone who "needs" the card in PSA 8. I would bet the new owner of the card is saying "Definitely money well spent".

Archive
08-17-2007, 12:55 PM
Posted By: <b>PS</b><p>To each his own of course, but that kind of money for an error card of a common player seems kinda silly.

Archive
08-17-2007, 01:16 PM
Posted By: <b>Marc S.</b><p>at least it is a really rare error card.<br /><br />A 1975 Topps Nolan Ryan PSA 10 in the same auction sold for over $29,000.

Archive
08-17-2007, 02:05 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul S</b><p>I'd have to agree with everything everybody else said about it.<br /><br />edited to say: I think the same person who writes the descriptive copy for Mastro is moonlighting at Mile High.

Archive
08-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Posted By: <b>Anthony</b><p>Paul- I'm pretty sure they use a different copywriter- the guy at Mastro knows how to actually use spell check.<br />

Archive
08-17-2007, 05:15 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>As many collect the set and as there are so few of that error, it's inevitable the demand will be high for the card. Anyone who wants a 1958 Topps master set needs the card, as you can't have a master set without it.

Archive
08-17-2007, 08:49 PM
Posted By: <b>D. C. Markel</b><p>This is indeed a rare card, but the 1958 Topps set has another card that rivals the Herrar's scarcity, and yet one rarely hears about it and that's the CONTEST CARD ALL-STAR GAME, JULY 8. It's a pop 4 in PSA 8 with none higher, which is only one more than the Herrar. I've never see The Contest card. Does anyone have a scan of it?

Archive
08-24-2007, 11:39 AM
Posted By: <b>peter chao</b><p>D.C.,<br /><br />What is the error on the contest card?<br /><br />Peter C.

Archive
08-24-2007, 11:50 AM
Posted By: <b>Paul S</b><p>Peter, I believe he is referring to the "rareness" of the contest card as compared to the Herrar card, not that the contest card itself HAS an error. (although correct me if I'm wrong, DC.)

Archive
08-24-2007, 08:46 PM
Posted By: <b>MikeU</b><p>"This is indeed a rare card, but the 1958 Topps set has another card that rivals the Herrar's scarcity, and yet one rarely hears about it and that's the CONTEST CARD ALL-STAR GAME, JULY 8. It's a pop 4 in PSA 8 with none higher, which is only one more than the Herrar. I've never see The Contest card. Does anyone have a scan of it?"<br /><br />Should contest cards really be part of a master set? I can understand errors and variations, but contest cards seems to push it a bit. <br />

Archive
08-24-2007, 10:11 PM
Posted By: <b>D. C. Markel</b><p>Yes, that is correct. I was referring to the scarcity of the contest card. I'm not aware of it having an error.

Archive
08-25-2007, 01:12 PM
Posted By: <b>peter chao</b><p>It really depends on the set. I don't know who determines the cards that go into a master set, but it seems like for some sets contest cards go into the master set and for other sets contest cards are not counted.<br /><br />I could not imagine the '57 Topps set without the lucky penny card. But with most of the recent stuff, I could definitely do without the contest card.<br /><br />The same goes for checklists, even marked checklists from the '50s are valuable, but I can certainly do without checklists from '80s Topps sets.<br /><br />Peter C.

Archive
08-25-2007, 01:51 PM
Posted By: <b>joe brennan</b><p>I understand rarity and owning the best, but I could have tht money on a 65 Namath rookie in PSA 8 for $5 and a 52 Mantle in what ever grade the rest of the money would allow. Seems like a better invewstment than an obscure common for the registry. I've enever understood the registry batlles anyways and here's a great example. <br /><br />What impresses your friends more? A 52 Mantle or a common no one has heard. After all aren't we buying these high priced cards to see whos XXX is bigger?<br /><br />In Rememberance of James W. Brennan Sr. 1924-1982. Dad, thanks for everything you did for me.<br /><br /><br />edited one word for language....we have some teens on here guys..and maybe younger

Archive
08-25-2007, 02:12 PM
Posted By: <b>dennis</b><p>i agree with you joe but these guys have so much money that they can buy any card they want, and in the best condition they can find. in other words they are rich.