PDA

View Full Version : Woody Gelman Collection?

Archive
08-21-2007, 10:06 PM
Posted By: <b>Dave Hornish</b><p>Has there ever been an in depth look at his collection published? I have a couple of thousand clips in my vertical files and do not have anything that looks like a comprehensive article on him. Since he is responsible for so many Topps test issues that are collected today, it would seem a natural but I have to wonder if his archive was destroyed, making research a problem. Plus, he seems like he was an interesting guy.

Archive
08-22-2007, 01:21 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob</b><p>I don't have any answers for you, but I'd also be quite interested in learning more about Mr. Gelman.

Archive
08-22-2007, 04:15 PM
Posted By: <b>David Davis</b><p>His son, Richard Gelman, sold baseball cards for years. I remember buying at auction in the mid 80's, an unopened pack of 1967 Pirates Stickers, amongst other scarce items. I would think at least part of what he sold came from his dad.

Archive
08-22-2007, 04:58 PM
Posted By: <b>Dave Hornish</b><p>Absolutley a connection but I believe a lot of Woody Gelman's stuff went up in flames at some point (I have to go back and check but Card Collectors Co. burned in the 1960's I think and he was involved with that company. Sy Berger also lived nearby Card Collector Co. but I do not believe he was involved with them as dealer.<br /><br />If I FUBAR'd this, sorry-not working off notes at the moment.

Archive
08-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Posted By: <b>brian</b><p>Didn't a huge portion of Gelman's stuff go up for auction at Guernsey's in 1989? Alan Hagar, Barry Halper and Harold Shigley ended up buying most of it from what I recall.