PDA

View Full Version : Post-war Uncenteredness

Archive
08-11-2007, 10:02 AM
Posted By: <b>Paul S</b><p>What do you all think of the huge amount of variance in the centering of post-war cards? Pre-war well, maybe they didn't have the best calibrated machinery or were hand cut. But post-war, it seems to me that they could have come a lot closer to being 50-50, even if not precisely so. Does anybody see much difference from the 1950's through the 60s? Sometimes it appears to me that it was even worse in the 60s! Sloppy shoving of sheets in the cutter? What? I've bought a ton of wax packs, especially in the later 60's and early 70s. I was just looking through my Topps 71. It turns out I have 5 Yastrzmskis(sp?) Not one is even close to being centered. One miscut. The nicest is about 65-35 or so. Thoughts?

Archive
08-11-2007, 12:42 PM
Posted By: <b>Marc S.</b><p>Production up<br /><br />Quality control down<br /><br />Collectors caring ==&gt; at the time, no one really did.<br /><br /><br />Given the sheer volume of cards produced, it isn't hard to put together centered sets from the period -- you just have to wade through a lot of crap to get there.<br /><br />If you think Topps was bad, look at OPC from the 1970s. I think at least 2-3 cards out of each pack was centered worse than 100/0.

Archive
08-12-2007, 09:12 AM
Posted By: <b>Bob C 2</b><p>I opened my first pack in 1970. I always thought centered cards from that era came about by accident...

Archive
08-12-2007, 01:24 PM
Posted By: <b>dennis</b><p>i bought baseball cards from 1959 thru 1967 and i never remember them being off center. they probably were and i guess i just didn't care? any one remember them off-center as a kid?

Archive
08-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul S</b><p>No, when opening packs as a kid a card being centered or not never occured to me. I don't even know if I thought about miscuts, although I now see I've got my share. All O card about was who I got in the pack.